A Nigerian boxer, Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju, has died in Ghana after taking a last-minute fight to clear his debts, the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control (NBBofC) has revealed. The 40-year-old collapsed in the ring during his fight against Ghanaian boxer Jon Mbanugu at the Bukom Boxing Arena in Accra on Saturday.
Olanrewaju, a former National and West African light-heavyweight champion, was initially scheduled to fight on Friday but was disqualified after failing the weigh-in. However, desperate for money, he agreed to a different fight the next day—a decision that cost him his life.
How It Happened
Olanrewaju was leading on points when tragedy struck in the eighth-round contest. After throwing two weak punches, he was hit with a right hand from Mbanugu. He staggered backward, fell against the ropes, and collapsed.
The referee started the mandatory count, but it became clear something was wrong. His team rushed in, removed his gum shield, and tried to resuscitate him as he gasped for breath. Medical officials quickly transported him to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Desperate to Make Money
The NBBofC Secretary-General, Remi Aboderin, confirmed that Olanrewaju was only approved to fight on Friday, not Saturday. However, after being disqualified, he became desperate to earn money and accepted another fight without official clearance.
Aboderin explained, “Segun got our approval to fight on Friday, but during the weigh-in on Thursday, he was found to be overweight. His opponent was not in the same weight category, so the fight was canceled. The organizers offered to increase his purse by $500, but he refused because he felt it was too small.”
Disappointed, Olanrewaju and his team left Accra for Lagos on Saturday morning. However, on reaching the Aflao border, he changed his mind, fearing he would return home with nothing.
Aboderin said, “He told his coach, Diran Alamu, that it would be difficult going back to Nigeria. He owed people money and needed to find a way to settle his debts. He then called the organizers and agreed to take the additional $500. That was how he returned to Accra to fight. Unfortunately, we never gave him approval for that bout, and the Ghana Boxing Association erred in allowing it.”
Also Read:
- Djokovic Makes History as Oldest Player to Reach Masters Semi-Final
- Real Madrid Coach Ancelotti to Stand Trial for Alleged Tax Fraud
Trainer Advised Against Fight
Olanrewaju’s trainer, Babatunde Ojo, said he warned the boxer against fighting on short notice, but his advice was ignored.
Ojo said, “He told me about the fight, but I advised him against it.” I told him he wasn’t training properly and that he should wait for a better offer. Initially, he said the fight was on April 1, but later he said it had been moved to March 29. That was too soon.
Ojo said, “I told him if he really wanted to go, he should ask the organizers to book a flight for him so he could go and return safely. But they only arranged a car for him. That’s when I knew it wasn’t a good idea.”
Ojo revealed that Olanrewaju didn’t inform him about the final fight decision because he knew he would try to stop him.
The coach lamented, “He knew I wouldn’t allow him to go, so he didn’t tell me. I only found out later. Now, this has happened. I always tell my boxers not to accept fights at short notice. You need at least a month to prepare. I am deeply saddened by his loss. May his soul rest in peace.”