The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa, has vowed that those responsible for the gruesome killing of 16 travellers in Uromi, Edo State, will face justice.
The victims, who were hunters traveling from Rivers State to Kano for the Eid celebration, were lynched by a mob last Thursday after being mistaken for kidnappers. A vigilante group reportedly stopped their truck and found dane guns in their possession, leading to a tragic case of mob justice.
The brutal killings have sparked nationwide outrage, with security forces launching an aggressive manhunt for those involved. Police have already arrested 14 suspects in connection with the attack, and investigations are ongoing.
CDS Condemns Attack, Pledges Justice
General Musa strongly condemned the killings and emphasized that the incident could have been avoided if the victims’ identities had been properly verified.
“The unfortunate killing of these hunters could have been avoided if the appropriate authorities had been involved,” Musa said in a statement.
He extended his condolences to the victims’ families, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the nation.
The CDS urged Nigerians to refrain from taking the law into their own hands.
He stated, “Citizens must rely on security agencies for conflict resolution. The Nigeria Police, military, and other security forces are trained to handle such matters.”
He further assured the public that the Armed Forces would collaborate with the police and other agencies to ensure those responsible are held accountable.
Edo State Government Reacts, Suspends Security Chief
In response to the tragedy, Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has taken decisive action, suspending the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP Friday Ibadin (retd.). The governor also ordered the immediate suspension of all illegal vigilante groups operating in the state.
A statement from the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, confirmed the suspensions.
“The local vigilante group involved in this gruesome killing was operating illegally. It was never profiled or registered with the Edo State Security Corps,” the statement read.
The government reaffirmed its commitment to upholding the constitutional rights of all Nigerians to travel and conduct business freely across the country. Governor Okpebholo has also reached out to the families of the victims and the Government of Kano State, where many of the deceased hailed from.
“We urge all parties to remain calm as we ensure that justice is done in a most transparent and proactive manner,” Ikhilor stated.
Governor Okpebholo’s Peace Efforts
Governor Okpebholo has been working behind the scenes to prevent further violence. Edo State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Paul Ohonbamu, revealed that the governor has engaged with leaders of the Hausa community in Edo to reassure them that the government does not condone the attack.
Ohonbamu said, “I am sure the swift action taken by the governor will prevent any reprisal attacks. When victims see that justice is being served, it reduces the likelihood of retaliation.”
The governor has also briefed Northern governors on the steps taken to address the situation. “He personally visited the scene and promised justice. If this had happened in another state, the same steps would have been taken to ease tensions,” Ohonbamu added.
Northern Leaders Demand Justice, Warn Against Retaliation
In Kano, the 16th Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi II, urged youths not to take matters into their own hands. Speaking at the Eid prayer ground, he reminded worshippers that Islam forbids revenge.
“This tragedy must not go unpunished, but we must seek justice through legal means, not violence,” the Emir said.
He called on security agencies to ensure the perpetrators are brought to book, warning that failure to do so could lead to further unrest.
Similar calls for justice came from the Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Adewale Akanbi, who condemned the killings, stressing that all Nigerians should have the right to live and travel safely anywhere in the country.
“I condemn this jungle justice. These men were Nigerians, and Nigerians should be protected, not hunted down,” Oba Akanbi said.
Also Read:
- Plateau Gov’t Signs N30 Billion Contract to Improve Water Supply
- Sultan Declares Sunday as Eid-el-Fitr, Calls for Peace and Prayers
Religious Leaders Decry Killings
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) also denounced the mob attack.
CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, described the killings as a “grievous violation of human rights and the rule of law.”
“This tragic event highlights the urgent need for stronger law enforcement. We urge the government to investigate and ensure those responsible are punished,” Okoh said.
Bishop David Bakare of PFN echoed similar sentiments, calling the act “barbaric and ungodly.” He urged Nigerians to avoid reprisals, stressing that “two wrongs do not make a right.”
House of Representatives Calls for Action
Spokesman for the House of Representatives, Akintunde Rotimi, also condemned the killings and called on security agencies to bring the perpetrators to justice.
“Nigerians must learn to coexist peacefully despite our differences. We strongly condemn this attack and demand justice,” Rotimi said at an event in Ekiti State.
Edo Hausa Community Urges Patience
The Head of the Hausa Community in Edo State, Alhaji Badamosi Saleh, confirmed that security agencies have arrested some suspects and assured his people that justice will be served.
“We have told our people to remain calm and allow the government to handle this matter. We are closely monitoring the situation and keeping our people in the North informed,” Saleh said.