At least 59 people have died, and more than 155 others were injured in a devastating fire at a nightclub in Kocani, North Macedonia. The tragic incident happened in the early hours of Sunday during a concert by a popular hip-hop duo, DNK.
The fire broke out at around 2:30 a.m. local time (1:30 a.m. GMT) at the Pulse club, which was packed with hundreds of partygoers. Initial investigations suggest that pyrotechnic devices used during the performance sparked the fire. The highly flammable ceiling caught fire immediately, causing the flames to spread rapidly.
Panic and Stampede
Eyewitness accounts and video footage show that the fire started while the band was on stage. Suddenly, two flares went off, sending sparks toward the ceiling. Within seconds, the fire engulfed the venue, creating chaos as people rushed to escape.
Twenty-year-old Marija Taseva, one of the survivors, described the terrifying moment when the crowd panicked. “I was caught in the stampede as everyone ran for the exit. I fell and was trampled, but somehow, I managed to get out,” she told Reuters.
Tragically, her 25-year-old sister was not as fortunate. “I was saved, and she wasn’t,” she said in tears.
Among the victims, at least three of the deceased and more than 20 of the injured were minors under the age of 18.
Also Read:
- Sowore Says Religious Leaders Use Top Medical Doctors While Preaching Fake Miracles
- Obasanjo Says Criminals and Drug Addicts Are Becoming Traditional Rulers
One Exit, No License
Authorities have revealed that the nightclub had only one entry and exit point, making it extremely difficult for people to evacuate. Many clubgoers reportedly stayed inside, either trying to put out the fire or because they could not find a way out. This led to a deadly stampede, causing more injuries and deaths.
Local reports describe the venue as an “improvised nightclub,” which was previously a carpet warehouse. In a shocking update, Interior Minister Pance Toskovski confirmed that the club had been operating without a legal license.
Government Reaction
Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski expressed his deep sorrow over the tragedy, calling it a “difficult and very sad day” for North Macedonia. “We mourn the loss of so many young lives,” he said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the police have sealed off the nightclub as investigations continue. Authorities are expected to question the club’s owners and event organizers to determine who should be held responsible.
This disaster is one of the deadliest nightclub fires in North Macedonia’s history, and the country is now mourning the lives lost in the tragic incident.